Saint Michael School (SMS) - In 1923, Father Edward Farrell bought the Mission House Hotel on the corner of Main Street and Maple Avenue (the present site of the Quick Check parking lot) to convert into a school house. The renovated first floor held three classrooms and the second floor had a fourth classroom and a chapel. The four Benedictine sisters, who came from St. Walburgas Convent in Elizabeth to teach at the school, lived on the third floor. Sister Mary Irene was the first principal of St. Michael School.
In 1945, the parish welcomed the Sisters of Christian Charity from Mendham, who replaced the Benedictines. They worked tirelessly to build up the school and helped to oversee the construction of the present St. Michael School building which opened its doors in September, 1958.
This year, 90 years from the founding of St. Michael School in downtown Netcong and 55 years in our present building, we continue the growing and continued traditions of St. Michael School that have given to the community and to the diocese. As a Star School of the Diocese of Paterson, we are confident this scholarship program will continue to build opportunities for Catholic students and foster the mission of our educators and members of the Catholic Church.