Teacher: Mrs. Mary Jacobs
Dear Kindergarten Parents,
Hello, my name is Mrs. Jacobs and I will be your child's kindergarten teacher this year. This will be my eighth year here at St. Michael's and I couldn't be happier! I look forward to getting to know your children throughout the school year as they start their exciting journey of new experiences during kindergarten. Your child's success in my classroom is a top priority for me and I will do everything possible to make sure that they are in a positive and comfortable learning environment.
Thanks so much for your time and I look forward to working with you and your children throughout the school year!
The following are explanations of some Kindergarten procedures that will be helpful to you:
- Supplies - Please label everything that your child brings to school. When your child runs out of a certain supply, I will let you know.
- Toys - Since we have a lot of fun toys and games in the classroom, I ask that your child's own personal toys be kept at home (unless it is for show and tell or sharing time each Monday). I know how important personal things are and I wouldn't want them to get lost or ruined.
- Show and Tell - A new show and tell calendar will be sent home each month. Be sure to always check what day is assigned to your child. Show and Tell will start the third week of school.
- Snacks - Snack time for the children will be around 9:30 AM. Please send in healthy snacks such as fruit, veggies, cheese, crackers and juice drinks. Please no candy, soda or glass bottles.
- Lunchtime Supervision - We will need to have two lunch parents each day to supervise the class for lunch.
- Rest time - The children will have a short rest time each day after lunch. Please send in a small towel or blanket. Please no large blankets/towels or pillows.
- Family Envelopes - Family envelopes are sent home each Tuesday. These envelopes will have information about school functions, fundraisers, and events that go on in the community. Please empty, initial, and return them to school by Thursday each week.
- Homework - Please always monitor your child while they complete their homework. Also please check the assignment before they return it to school. Homework will be given Monday-Thursday each week. I will not give homework on weekends or holidays. Homework will start the end of the second week of school.
- Student of the Week - This is to reward a child who is a great role model to the rest of the class. This person will be a good listener, a great friend, do their best work etc. Each Friday a new student of the week will be selected for the following week (Monday-Friday). The student will take home a special poster and the class monkey with his journal. Over the weekend the student will complete their "All About Me" poster and write about what they did with the monkey on Sunday night. That next week the star student will be the line leader, get to sit on our couch, be a messenger, be first for any games or activities etc!
- Star of the Day - Each day there will be a new "Star of the Day". This student will have special jobs such as reporting the weather, be our class counter, be second in line, get to help out with special things etc.
- Birthdays - You may send in finger foods such as cupcakes, cookies, munchkins, etc. on your child's birthday. Please do not bring in any kind of cakes for our birthday celebrations. Children do not have to wear their uniform on their birthday.
- Holiday Parties - Parents will volunteer to bring in a certain food item for parties throughout the school year. They will be notified when the date approaches by the room mothers to remind them of the item that they are responsible for. (Sign up sheets will be at back to school night in September)
- Crafts - We give the parents the opportunity to come in to teach the children a craft. You will supply all the materials. (Many parents use the help of Oriental Trading). You may also "team teach" a craft with another parent if you would like. This is a great way to see your child and the rest of the class in action! Sign up sheets will be at back to school night in September.
- Shoe Wall - It is very important for your child to learn to tie their shoes quickly. Besides being a very important fine motor skill, it is for their safety as well. Starting during the third week of school, we will begin to test them on their shoe tying skills. When they are able to independently tie their shoes, their name will be placed on the shoe wall that is proudly displayed in our classroom and they will get a prize.
- Tooth Chart - We love to celebrate in class when someone loses a tooth. Please have your child bring in their tooth to share with the class if possible. We will write what month the tooth was lost, sing a song to the person who lost it, and present them with their tooth certificate.
- Behavior Chart - In our classroom a color-coded behavior chart is used. Each day every student will start off with a green card. If a warning needs to be given, the student will change their card to yellow. If the problem is not fixed then the student will turn their card to red and take a time out to sit for a few minutes and think about what needs to be changed. If the issue continues then the student will change their card to two reds and parents will be notified. Each day a student ends the day with a green card, they will receive a stamp. When they have earned twenty stamps they will be able to get a prize from our prize box.
- Dismissal - On any given day if there is a change of plans regarding your child's after school transportation, we must have a note from you. We can not take your child's word for it.
We will do many special projects throughout the year in kindergarten such as painting, making collages to represent our letter of the week, decorating to show the changing of the seasons etc. You will ALWAYS be notified of what is going on in our classroom through class notes that will be found in your child's communication folder.
Thank you for your cooperation. If you have questions or concerns at any time please don't hesitate to contact me.
Kindergarten Supply List (2012-2013)
- Smock (preferably an adults old t-shirt)
- Writing portfolio (to be purchased at the school store)
Communication Folder ( to be purchased at the school store)
One other folder with bottom pockets
One LARGE plastic box (for pencils, crayons, eraser, glue sticks, and scissors)
Primary Pencils (the school will supply the first one and a pencil grip)
2 large glue sticks (No liquid glue)
Crayons - box of no more than 24 crayons (please print your child's initials on each crayon)
Your child should also have:
- large backpack (no rolling backpacks please)
- soft lunch box
- one small towel for rest time
- one roll of paper towels
- two boxes of tissues
- a bottle of hand sanitizer (please, no liquid soap)
- two boxes of wipes (please send in Clorox wipes-no baby wipes)
(Please be aware that the tissues, paper towels, hand sanitizer and wipes will be used as a class and be replaced as needed.)
PLEASE PRINT YOUR CHILD'S NAME ON EVERYTHING!!!