Welcome to St. Michael School!
In 1923, Father Edward Farrell bought the Mission House Hotel on the corner of Main Street and Maple Avenue (the present site of the Quick Check parking lot) to convert into a school house. The renovated first floor held three classrooms and the second floor had a fourth classroom and a chapel. The four Benedictine sisters, who came from St. Walburgas Convent in Elizabeth to teach at the school, lived on the third floor. Sister Mary Irene was the first principal of St. Michael School.
In 1945, the parish welcomed the sisters of Christian Charity from Mendham, who replaced the Benedictines. They worked tirelessly to build up the school and helped to oversee the construction of the present St. Michael School building which opened its doors in September, 1958.
This year, 88 years from the founding of St. Michael School in downtown Netcong and 53 years in our present building, we continue to respect and carry on the years of tradition St. Michael School has given to the community and the Diocese. As a Star School of the Diocese of Paterson, we are confident that we will continue this tradition and fulfill our mission as educators and members of the church.